WWII D-Day Display Room Opening
Published: 15 April 2014
Saturday 19th April at 1200
The Hon. Ralph Montagu will officially open the new World War II display room at Hurst Castle this coming Saturday at 12 o’clock.
The emphasis of this new exhibition is on D-Day and the importance of the local area in the run up to the Invasion.
Exhibits are kindly being loaned from the following supporters:
BEAULIEU HISTORY SOCIETY
BOLDRE HISTORICAL SOCIETY
MILFORD-ON-SEA HISTORICAL RECORD SOCIETY
FRIENDS OF NEW FOREST AIRFIELDS
Do come and join us for the Grand Opening of this exciting new exhibition!
Bletchley Park Code Breakers weekend
Published: 13 April 2014
Saturday 19 April – Sunday 20 April 2014
Have a ‘cracking’ party with the Code Breakers at Hurst CastleEaster 1944 and the South Coast has the feeling something big is about to happen. In complete secrecy at Bletchley Park men and women are hard at work decoding the top secret messages flowing between Hitler and his Generals. A huge new machine has been invented to help them with their colossal task, aptly named ‘Colossus’ it is the world’s first electronic computer and built from post office spare parts. It heralds the beginning of the modern computer age we live in. After deciphering some vital information that enables Allied commanders to set the date for D-Day, it’s time for the code breakers to finish work and enjoy a drink and song at the pub.
That’s the scenario for the Home Front History event at Hurst Castle, Milford-on- Sea, Hampshire over the Easter weekend. The event will now be staged in memory of Captain Jerry Roberts from Liphook who recently died at the age of 93. Jerry was part of the team at Bletchley Park that cracked German High Command codes ahead of the D-Day landings including Hitler’s personal code.
The Garrison Theatre will become the “Victory Arms” pub where the code breakers of Bletchley Park relax after a hard day’s code cracking. Hurst Castle visitors are invited to join them for a 1940’s sing song.
The show is free and there will be one show on Saturday 19th at 14.00 and three on Sunday 20th at 11.00, 13.00 and 15.00.
In between shows visitors can see a demonstration of the “unbreakable” Enigma code machine and have photographs taken with it and “The Code breakers”.
Author Philomena Liggins will also be signing copies of her new Bletchley Park book available with a limited edition Home Front stamp issue from Bletchley Park Post Office.
Tudor and Stuart History Comes Alive
Published: 03 June 2013
1st & 2nd June 2013
A St Barbe Museum event in conjunction with Hurst Castle:
Visitors joined our team of Tudor and Stuart re-enactors at Henry VIII’s original castle, with authentic costumes, demonstrations of crafts and skills (including net-making, a barber surgeon and lace making) and a special focus on dining, food and etiquette.
There were lots of opportunities to interact with period soldiers and learn about their weapons or the games they used to pass the time, and even serve as a juror on a court leet.
New Lighthouse Display Room Opened
Published: 13 April 2013
The Association of Lighthouse Keepers’ second exhibition room was formally opened by representatives of the ALK on Saturday 13th April, in the presence of some 75 ALK members and Friends of Hurst Castle.
This new exhibition is to be found at the end of the West Wing, adjacent to the ALK’s first exhibition room which was opened in 2009.
The new display includes a replica of part of the kitchen of the Needles lighthouse, a Fresnel lens exhibit plus a large collection of lighthouse artefacts.
Bat For Lashes music video filmed at Hurst Point Lighthouse
Published: 23 October 2012
Singer-songwriter and multi-instrumentalist Natasha Kahn, whose stage name is Bat For Lashes, recently filmed her music video ‘The Haunted Man’ at Hurst Point lighthouse. In her latest video, entitled ‘Letting Go Of Ghosts – Creating The Haunted Man’, Bat For Lashes talks about her music and her approach to creating her latest album, with stunning footage shot in and around the lighthouse:
Published: 18 November 2011
The recently restored World War 2 Bofors Gun has now been put on display just inside the Castle entrance.The gun which was originaly in Dover Castle was donated to the Friends of Hurst Castle and in such poor condition that only the barrel remained intact. Following a major rebuild by the East Wing team the Bofors is now in pride of place as a reminder of the type of weapon at Hurst in WW11.
Unveiling of New Forest National Park Interpretation Boards
Published: 07 April 2011
Hurst Castle was very pleased to welcome the Chairman Julian Johnson and C.E.O Alison Barnes of the New Forest National Park along with representatives and sponsors for the unveiling of two new interpretation boards. The boards supplied by the NFNP cover areas not included in other exhibitions at the Castle and will prove a valuable guide for visitors.
Poppy Joins The Team
Published: 02 March 2011
A new apprentice has joined the Hurst Ferry and Castle workforce. Poppy who will be 5 months at Easter has just started her apprenticeship under the watchful eye of Honey. It is hoped that she will be ready to meet her first visitors when the Castle reopens full time on 1st April. She has already qualified in Labrador grade A (inspection of lunch boxes).
Published: 25 November 2010
It is with much regret that we have to announce the death of ECHO the Castle and Ferry Labrador at the age of 15.
Echo spent some time as a puppy living in the cottage at Hurst with her ‘owner’ Jason. She was well known to the many visitors at Hurst and was particularly loved by the school parties. Many pupils were accustomed to her joining the lessons by sitting as part of the circle listening attentively to the teacher. Geography was her favourite subject as it involved walks on the spit. Her behaviour at school was impeccable and prompted one school to award her honorary GCSEs in History and Geography as the best pupil.
She spent her last day at work in the Castle supervising the workers and closely inspecting their lunches.
She will be greatly missed.
Friends of Hurst Castle Rooms Grand Opening
Published: 25 July 2010
The new Friends of Hurst Castle display was formally opened by local BBC television journalist Chris Conybeer. Before the official cutting of the ribbon, the Chairman of the Friends, David Pryer,
thanked local historian Michael Hodges whose generous donation of a large number of historic weapons makes up a significant part of the new exhibition. Also on display in the former WW2 Generator Room is a collection of archive material from the Milford on Sea Historical Records Society who have entered into partnership with the Friends of Hurst Castle.
Audio Guided Tour
Published: 01 May 2010
Let Dennis Skillicorn (former BBC Radio Solent presenter) show you round Hurst Castle with a fascinating insight into its rich and varied history. From its origins under Henry VIII to the imprisonment of Charles I, through Napoleonic times and two world wars, you’ll discover how guns and searchlights were developed and learn about the important role of lighthouses. This one and a half hour tour in twenty separate tracks is available for £2 at the entrance.
The audio Guided Tour is also available as a downloadable digital album. By clicking on the link below, you will be able to view all 20 tracks and play a sample of any track simply by selecting it and clicking the ‘play’ arrow. If you choose, you can then download the entire album for only £2, or an individual track for just 10p. Proceeds go towards the restoration and maintenance of the building.
Published: 01 April 2009
ALK Room Grand Opening –
Saturday 4th April 2009
The Association of Lighthouse Keepers’ new display room was formally opened by the President of the ALK Gerry Douglas-Sherwood and the Chairman and Founder Member of the ALK Neil Hargreaves on Saturday 4th April, in the presence of ALK members and Friends of Hurst Castle. On the same occasion there was also the dedication of the Northern Lighthouse Board lantern in memory of former Principle Keeper Ray Stone, who served at the Needles lighthouse during his long career with Trinity House.
Remembering Hurst’s Soldiers
Sunday 6th July 2008
A Memorial Stone to remember all the service personnel who served in Hurst Castle from 1544 to 1956 was unveiled during a short ceremony on Sunday 6th July at 1430 by Cannon Ray Hubble. The inspiration for a commemorative stone came from Charles McKenzie, the Vice Chairman of the Friends of Hurst Castle, and the stone was supplied by Commonwealth Stones in Bath and engraved by Hoare Banks Stonemasons of Lymington. The Castle Gardeners have positioned the Stone in the Captain’s Centre Flowerbed in the West Wing.
Egypt Point (Cowes) Light:
Thursday 19 June 2008
On Thursday 19 June the Egypt Point light was officially switched on by the Trinity House Executive Chairman, Jeremy de Halpert.
After receiving the Optic from the closed Trinity House museum at Penzance where it had stood for many years in an exposed position and looked rather sad, the Association of Lighthouse Keepers together with the Friends of Hurst Castle have undertaken a complete overhaul of the mechanism, stripped and repainted the metalwork, and the light now provides the finishing touch to the Trinity House lighthouse museum at Hurst Castle.
WW2 Theatre renovation:
The Friends of Hurst Castle have been busy during the winter 2007-08 smartening up the theatre which is now restored to its previous glory. The finishing touches were completed in time for the opening night on Fri. 16th May. The evening was a great success and more events are planned, details to follow.